The Grass is Greener on the Side of the Fence You Water
Let’s be real for a minute. Strong marriages
take a lot of diligent effort and commitment. I don’t believe in the saying,
“we fell in love,” any more than I believe that people simply “fall out of
love.” In my mind, love is a verb…it is something we do. Life is full of peaks
and valleys. Trials and setbacks of all kinds will challenge each of us, and
our marriages and families. So, how do we stay faithfully and happily committed
and connected through the ups and downs, or even through the monotony of
married life?
Water your grass!
This statement from President Kimball explains
further this thought:
“The Lord says in no uncertain terms: ‘Thou
shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else’
(D&C 42:22).
And, when the Lord says all thy
heart, it allows for no sharing nor dividing nor depriving. And, to the woman
it is paraphrased: ‘Thou shalt love thy husband with all thy
heart and shalt cleave unto him and none else.’
The words none else eliminate
everyone and everything. The spouse then becomes preeminent in the life of the
husband or wife, and neither social life nor occupational life nor political
life nor any other interest nor person nor thing shall ever take precedence
over the companion spouse. (Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle (1972),
142–43.)
So, to water our marital grass, we have to
carefully tend to our spouse. I’ve found that the small things go a long way in
drawing closer to my spouse. Things like:
· Initiating sex
· Making his favorite dinner
· Asking about his work
· Spending time doing his favorite activities
· Buying his favorite toothpaste/shampoo
I feel like anytime I can show that I know my
spouse and that I care about his desires, he draws closer to me, and vice
versa.
No comments:
Post a Comment